Motor Accident Injuries

Get answers with a confidential, free, no-obligation initial consultation about your motor accident case. Contact us or Call 1800 96 00 96

Contact Us

Injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents are covered by Compulsory Third Party (‘CTP’) insurance. Time limits always apply and in the case of ‘hit and run’ accidents, where the identity of the person who caused the accident, or the registration of the vehicle they were driving, is unknown, the time limit for you to claim may be very short (months, not years). The Nominal Defendant insures unidentified and unregistered motor vehicles and the compensation is generally the same as if the vehicle identity is known so long as the time limit has not expired.

Car Accident Compensation Entitlements

Motor accidents claims cover a wide variety of compensation types and while it does vary from state to state, you may be entitled to compensation for:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Medical expenses
  • Refunds (to cover what you will have to pay back from your payout to Medicare, Centrelink, workers’ comp, private health etc.)
  • Past wages
  • Future wages (including compensation to cover time off work)
  • Superannuation
  • Unpaid domestic care
  • Future medical and care expenses
  • Costs of having your injury compensation payout managed if you are unable to do this yourself (for example for very serious brain injury or psychiatric cases)
  • Legal costs (paid by the defendant to reduce your legal costs)

What to do if you have been injured in a car accident

If you have been injured in a motor accident, note down the registration and description of the other vehicle, and report the accident to the police as soon as possible. Of course, the first priority is to seek medical attention and in the case of serious injuries the other matters may just have to wait until your life and health have been attended to by paramedics and doctors. Taking photos and videos of the accident scene, vehicle and damage will also help preserve evidence so that you can prove what happened.

Some car accident claims are quite complex especially if the victim has suffered very serious or uncommon injuries. It might also be difficult to prove what happened. We are experts in the forensic analysis needed to investigate and prove these types of cases. We may need to obtain and analyse the engineering plans for a traffic light sequences so that we can reverse engineer who is telling the truth about who had the red light or green light. An urgent application for CCTV footage might be needed and we can take care of that.

Especially if you have been injured in a hit and run accident, you should seek immediate legal advice about time limits.

Contact us for a confidential, free, no-obligation initial consultation about your motor accident case.